During its 10th annual meeting held last week in New Orleans at The Rental Show2012 in New Orleans, the Global Rental Alliance approved Alliance membership of the Associação De Locadoras (ALEC), the Brazilian Rental Association based in São Paulo, Brazil.
ALEC was represented at the meeting by its president, Marco Aurélio da Cunha, managing director of São Paulo Locadora de Máquinas e Equipamentos, a general equipment rental company with operations in São Paulo, Curitiba and Praia Grande. Aurélio da Cunha has been active in the Brazilian rental industry for 23 years and recently began his two-year tenure as president of the 20-year old association.
ARA Rental Market Metrics™ was presented at the meeting by John McClelland, vice president for government affairs for the American Rental Association (ARA), who addressed the opportunity for worldwide adoption of the performance measures. These metrics are consistent with the objectives of the Global Rental Alliance to provide the opportunity for development of benchmark data among their member rental companies. Member organizations present recognized that implementation of ARA Rental Market Metrics™ by software providers is essential to implementation of the initiative.
The equipment rental economic outlook, technological trends within the industry, safety and regulatory matters and the GRA International Rental Business Leadership Program, administered by the ARA Foundation, were among the key issues addressed at the meeting.
The purpose of the Global Rental Alliance is to increase the profile of equipment rental worldwide and to build global understanding of the industry. It is a partnership of rental associations from around the world that meet semi-annually and share information on program initiatives throughout the year. The unity of this group has brought about an increased awareness of overall priorities internationally, adding to the strategic outlook and resources of each association within the Alliance.
All of the Global Rental Alliance members were represented at the meeting, as follows:
- European Rental Association (ERA) represented by Michel Petitjean, secretary general.
- Hire Association Europe (HAE), represented by Stephen Dorricott, chairman; Kevin McGuinness, president; Graham Arundell, managing director; and Terry Douris, past president.
- Hire Association of New Zealand (HIANZ), represented by Bruce Wallace of GI Hire in Pakuranga, Auckland, New Zealand, on behalf of Phil Tindle, general manager.
- Hire & Rental Industry Association Ltd., Australia (HRIA), represented by Peter Lancken, GRA representative; and Phil Newby, CEO.
- Canadian Rental Association (CRA), represented by Ed Dwyer, president; and Jeff Campbell, senior vice president.
- American Rental Association (ARA), represented by Ted Cook, chairman of the board; Chris Wehrman, CEO; and Kathy Nicoletto, Global Rental Alliance liaison and special assistant to the CEO.
Representatives of the Alliance joined ARA in welcoming international guests to the International Reception held in their honor at The Rental Show. They were among attendees from more than 40 countries throughout the world who traveled to New Orleans to attend the show. ARA also thanked the reception sponsors, Ditch Witch, Doosan Portable Power, EDCO – Equipment Development Co. and Rental Managmentmagazine, for their support.